Burst – {Egg-Free Brownies}

Packed to capacity with chocolates, nuts, packets of gelatin and yeast, milk powder, almond meal, various gadgets and a small vial of homemade vanilla extract; my trusty backpack rested evenly over my shoulders as I made the 20 minute walk to my car. I found it difficult to place my toothbrush among the necessities as I packed, but I eventually spotted a forgiving spot within the front pocket. Wedged between my sanity and health, my rigid toothbrush threatened my well-being. I could feel myself slipping blissfully into insanity under the 20lb load as I trekked, but I didn’t care. At least I’d have clean teeth!

An hour later, staring starry-eyed into my Grandma’s kitchen, I was faced with an open range and a head full of ideas. I tossed a few around, but ultimately decided to keep things simple for a few reasons:

A) I wanted to include my cousin, K. Because I didn’t want to frighten the poor kid with something complicated/improvised (as I have the tendency to do to my poor unsuspecting helpers), layer cakes and macarons were off the list!

B) My grandparents were entertaining guests. That means no messes!

So, brownies. I’ve been trying to perfect this recipe for over a month, so I’m sure it comes as no surprise that I’m recovering from a bit of a brownie overload! In that time, I’ve distributed at least four batches of these brownies to my friends, and they always go over very well. So well, in fact, that I’ve only just had an opportunity to take photos of them!

They always disappear before I get a chance…

Dense and Chewy Egg-Free Brownies
Super chewy, intensely chocolaty and made of all things good (minus eggs!), you’re gonna love these!
Printable Recipe

1/3 c (41 g) flour
1 c (237 ml) water
1/2 c (118 g) butter
4 oz (113 g) chocolate (I’ve used milk chocolate Callebaut and unsweetend Dagoba – both produced great results, although the former is notable sweeter!)
2 c (284 g) flour
1 tsp baking powder
1 c (199 g) granulated sugar
1 c (142 g) brown sugar (you can use all granulated if you like, but the brown sugar contributes to a chewier and denser texture.)
1 tsp vanilla
1 c (160 g?)chocolate chips
1/2 c (handful or so) cocoa nibs, optional

Preheat the oven to 350F (175C).

Combine the 1/3 c flour and water in a saucepan and cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until thick and gummy. Set aside to cool slightly.

In the microwave or in a double boiler, melt the butter and chocolate in a large bowl. Set aside to cool slightly.

Grease and line a 9×13 pan, being sure to grease over the top of the liner.

In another bowl, combine the flour, baking powder and salt. Set aside.

Add the sugars and vanilla to the chocolate mixture, then stir in the cooked flour mixture. Mix thoroughly, then sift in the dry ingredients. Begin folding to combine, and add the chocolate chips and cocoa nibs (if using) before completely combined to prevent over mixing.

Spread into prepared pan and sprinkle with more chocolate chips or cocoa nibs, if desired. Bake 20-25 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out nearly clean.

I know it’s hard, but allow them to cool completely on a cooling rack before removing from pan and slicing.

Comments

i drool over the deliciousness of your recipes and photography! I have been looking for a great egg-free brownie recipe for a long time, this looks like a winner. I only wish I had some fun helpers too.

Yum. <br />Congrats on a great blog – I subscribe and look forward to every post. You&#39;ve reawakened my kitchen! Now to try to find cup measurements and cocoa nibs in Japan…<br /><br />Thanks!

That recipe looks really delicious!<br />And I&#39;d never heard of homemade vanilla extract… I&#39;ll look for a recipe. Sounds interesting πŸ˜€

I just discovered your blog! The food and the photography are both beautiful. I definitely share your &quot;obsession;&quot; I spend an unhealthy amount of time on foodgawker. =p What type of camera do you use?

I am jealous of your beautiful photography! I love the backgrounds you use, could you share some tips on how you take your pictures? I am very interested in improving mine. Thanks!

6. Angie says

I really need to follow your blog….<br /><br />Thank you, thank you, thank you for an egg free brownie recipe. My husband has recently found out he is severely allergic to eggs and is deeply saddened that baked goods are off his list these days. I made your Rainbow Cake several weeks ago and he paid the price for eating a piece after I told him not to! He&#39;ll be delighted I have an

I love your photography-these brownies look so delicious and decadent-hooray for them being egg-free. Forget the boxed mixes, I will definitely be giving this recipe a try :)

the thing i love more about this blog, is that i can almost smell how good ur cakes are. i love it, i love u for writing &amp; taking pics like this.

I tried making the egg free brownies because I&#39;m allergic to eggs and they were amazing i couldn&#39;t stop eating them.

Thanks so much for the great recipe! I made them today, and they are exceptional! I have a son with an egg allergy, and I have tried many egg free brownie recipes without success.<br /><br />This is my new favorite recipe!

Made these yesterday. I am disappointed with the outcome. Completely cooled, I had a brownie last night…tasted just like wet flour(dough). It was gross. Had one the next day, same thing. Threw the batch out.

I&#39;ve been surfing online more than 3 hours today, yet I never found any interesting article like yours. It&#39;s pretty worth <br />enough for me. In my opinion, if all website owners and bloggers made <br />good content as you did, the internet will be a lot more useful than <br />ever before.<br /><i>My web page</i> <b><a href="http://www.b2businesshub.com/forum/

With havin so much written content do you ever run into any issues of plagorism or copyright <br />violation? My website has a lot of exclusive <br />content I&#39;ve either written myself or outsourced but it seems a lot of it is popping it up all over the web without my permission. Do you know any techniques to help stop content from being ripped off? I&#39;d really appreciate it.<br /><i>Also

I had to cook my batch of brownies for over an hour…and the center still was very gooey; but the edges were very crunchy. I would try it on lower heat next time. After sitting out for a day they are more set up (I can get them mostly into squares), but they are still so super gooey on the bottom. Very rich…but it does keep me from having more than one at a time!