I’ve been a little quiet lately, but I’m sharing a new recipe that I made for Friendsgiving this year.
General update: things have been good, but busy. I got a new job and am relearning how to take advantage of spare time.
The panini has left me spending a lot of time in the kitchen cooking up savory stuff. Less baking since it’s been harder to share with people since S wasn’t going into the office and hang time with friends was at an all time low before we were vaccinated.
I hope you’re all doing well. Pop by my Instagram, @WhiskKid for some pics I never posted here, or visit me on TikTok, @WhiskKid to see some recipe vids I’ve been working on.
Brown-Butter Salted- Caramel Cheesecake
Brown-Butter Graham Cracker Crust Ingredients
- 4 Tbsp (60g) unsalted butter
- 1 3/4 cups (230g) Graham cracker crumbs (from 15 Graham crackers)
- 2 (25g) Tbsp brown sugar
- Pinch salt
- Set oven to 350F. Grease 9″ cake tin. Line sides and bottom with parchment.
- Brown the butter and set aside to cool. Pulse the graham crackers in food processor to make fine crumbs. Mix in brown sugar, salt, and cooled butter.
- Press crust into tin and bake 10-15 minutes until just beginning to brown. Let cool.
Sour Cream Cheesecake Ingredients
- 2/3 c (160ml/150g) half & half
- 4 eggs, room temp
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 2/3 c (160ml/150g) sour cream, room temp
- 2 lbs (900g) cream cheese, room temp
- 1 1/3 c (270g) sugar
- Pinch salt
- Reduce oven to 325F.
- In a small bowl, mix together half & half, eggs, and vanilla. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, beat the sour cream to loosen. Blend in cream cheese on low speed until combined. Add sugar and salt and beat to incorporate.
- Slowly pour in the egg mixture and beat to combine. Pour over cooled crust. Bake in a water bath for 1.5 hours, then turn off the oven and crack the oven door 1 inch. Allow the cheesecake to cool in the turned off oven for 1 hour. Chill in fridge.
- To remove from tin, dip the cheesecake into hot water for 15-30 seconds. Place a piece of waxed paper on top, then invert onto a flat surface (a baking sheet works well). Invert again onto a serving tray.
Salted Caramel Ingredients
- 1 c (200g) sugar
- 6 Tbsp (90g) butter, room temp
- 1/2 c (120ml) half & half
- 1 tsp salt
- Cook the sugar in a tall-sided pan, stirring frequently, until caramelized and smooth.
- Add the butter and stir to combine.
- Slowly add the half & half as you stir.
- Add salt and let cool.
- Serve cheesecake at room temp with caramel.